We are seeking qualified candidates to pursue the Language Instructor Fellowship at TFLI (LIFT). The LIFT program will select qualified bilingual candidates in selected languages to teach French, German, Japanese or Spanish classes at TFLI and simultaneously complete a 150-hr language teaching course. The fellow will attend the in-class sessions of the TESL program as scheduled (see http://tfli.org/2014/05/22/upcoming-sessions-of-tesltfli/) and complete the practicum teaching foreign language group classes at TFLI.
Here’s how it works:
- The fellow will pay $865 to participate in the TESL training, which is 1/3 of total cost of the training ($2595), with TFLI covering the remainder of the cost.
- The fellow will commit to work as a paid instructor at TFLI for at least a year, teaching at least one class per 12-week term (more if available and/or desired by the fellow), or, if group classes are not available due to low enrollment, Custom Classes, for the total number of 100 teaching hours (preparation time, half an hour per every hour taught, is also paid at 50% of the teaching rate).
- In the unlikely event that neither group nor custom classes are available for the fellow to teach within that year, the fellow will be employed to create classroom activities in their language for future benefit of TFLI.
- All work conducted after completion of the TESL course and practicum will be paid according to the normal TFLI hourly rates for trained instructors.
- The fellow will be TFLI’s first choice whenever new teaching assignments become available, and is welcome to remain a member of TFLI teaching faculty beyond the duration of the fellowship.
Fellows who wish to complete ESL practicum required to receive the TESL certificate (= credentials to teach ESL) may do so, but ESL practicum is not part of the LIFT fellowship and the fellow will pay any cost of the practicum as deemed by the TESL department at TFLI.
How to apply:
- Follow instructions for application to the TESL Certification Program (http://tfli.org/2015/04/09/tesltfli-how-to/). NOTE: TESL discounts and financial aid application do not pertain to LIFT Fellows.
- Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Demonstrate fluency in selected language by taking OPI or other method.
- Attend an interview
Ideal candidates will demonstrate:
- Commitment to working at TFLI for one year or longer
- Eligibility to work in the U.S.
- General aptitude as instructors (dynamic and supportive personality, strong communication skills, creativity, confidence in front of students, willingness to receive feedback)
- Competence in the language the fellow will teach. Native speakers need to demonstrate strong grammar awareness in their native language; non-native speakers need to demonstrate near-native fluency.
- Native English proficiency (required to successfully participate in the in-class part of the TESL course)
- Availability to teach on weekday nights (daytime classes may be available to teach as well)
 Current teaching rates of pay for TFLI Language Instructors average $24 dollars per hour + paid prep time.