According to the students in TFLI’s English language classes, these are the top reasons non-English speakers living in the US should learn to speak English.
1. Learning English gives me better communication skills to use with Americans in all settings.
2. Knowing English makes me feel more comfortable, fitting in with others in this country.
3. I can get a better job if I know English.
4. Knowing English will help me complete an advanced degree.
5. Learning English helps me communicate better with my children who were born in this country. My daughter speaks English fluently, but does not understand some of my Spanish words.
6. I want to help my fellow immigrants with translation problems, especially when medical problems arise.